New York attorney general asks court to stop Trump organization from moving assets

Trump withdraws another lawsuit against New York Attorney General Letitia James


New York
CNN

Former President Donald Trump has withdrawn a second lawsuit challenging the New York Attorney General’s investigation into the Trump Organization, days after drop a case trying to block access to his personal trust.

In a one page filinglawyers for Trump and Attorney General Letitia James said they had reached an agreement to dismiss the appeal with prejudice, meaning it could not be revived in the future.

Trump had appealed a federal judge’s ruling last May that allowed the investigation of James in the Trump Organization to continue. The judge rejected his argument that James, a Democrat, was motivated by political animosity and was investigating him in bad faith.

In September, James sued Trump, his three eldest children and the Trump Organization, alleging they were involved in a decade-long fraud that deceived lenders, insurers and tax authorities to enrich themselves. James is looking for $250 million.

The Trumps have denied any wrongdoing.

“This appeal was voluntarily withdrawn for strategic purposes,” Trump attorney Alina Habba said.

“I am pleased that Donald Trump has withdrawn his two pending actions against my office. As we have shown throughout, we have a legitimate legal action against him and his organization, and we cannot be intimidated or deterred from pursuing it,” James said in a statement.

On Friday, Trump withdrew a lawsuit he filed in November to block the attorney general’s office from obtaining documents and records from the personal trust he established to hold his business interests after becoming president.

Also last week, Judge Donald Middlebrooks – who was overseeing the in-trust lawsuit – fined Trump and another group of lawyers $937,989 for a lawsuit Trump filed against Hillary Clinton, former senior Department of Justice officials. Justice and several others alleging they conspired against him during the 2016 campaign.

“No reasonable lawyer would have filed it. Intended for a political purpose, none of the counts in the amended complaint disclosed a recognized legal claim,” the judge wrote.

The appeal withdrawn on Tuesday was filed in the 2nd US Circuit Court of Appeals in New York and is unrelated to Middlebrooks, which sits in the Southern District of Florida.

This story has been updated with additional details.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.