3 dead after 'random' shooting at Yakima convenience store;  Suspect dies an apparent suicide

3 dead after ‘random’ shooting at Yakima convenience store; Suspect dies an apparent suicide

A suspect believed to have been involved in a fatal triple shooting at a convenience store in Yakima died of apparently self-inflicted gunshot wounds, according to police.

Before the suspect took his own life, officers were called to a Circle K store around 3.30am to reports that a man had shot several people near 18th Street and Nob Hill Boulevard.

When police arrived at the scene, they found three people dead inside the Circle K store – two men and a woman. Police did not immediately release additional details about the victims.

Yakima Police Chief Matt Murray said there was apparently a second shooting across the street at the ARCO/AMPM convenience store, however, it appears the suspect shot the windows of his own car because he locked himself out of the vehicle.

Yakima shooting scene (left) and Yakima shooting suspect (right) (Yakima Police Department)

The suspect drove off the scene and was identified as 21-year-old Yakima County resident Jarid Haddock.

Murray said police had security video of the store and eyewitnesses provided information.

“It seems like a random situation,” Murray said. “There was no apparent conflict between the parties. The man just walked in and started shooting.”

READ ALSO: President Biden Pushes Assault Weapons Ban After Half Moon Bay Mass Shooting

A SWAT call was made around 2.16pm and a house was surrounded – police thought the suspect was inside but he was not.

The suspect borrowed a woman’s phone near the target in Yakima and called her mother, telling her ‘several incriminating statements, like ‘I killed those people,'” Murray told a news conference .

The suspect also told the woman that he was going to kill himself.

The woman was able to retrieve her phone and distance herself from the suspect. She then called 911 and relayed what the suspect had told her and her mother over the phone.

Police said the suspect left and ended up near the Pizza Hut, which was diagonally from the target. Officers arrived at the scene and heard gunshots.

When they followed the shots, they saw the man they believed to have been involved in the Circle K murders with apparently self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

Doctors attempted to save the man, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

The suspect had a large amount of ammunition and weapons on him when officers found him on the ground, Murray said. Murray said he wasn’t sure how much ammunition he had on him, but it was “more than a normal person would carry”.

Murray said police don’t yet know a motive, if there was one. He also said they might never know, since Haddock died.

An autopsy will be performed to confirm the man’s identity, but police strongly believe it was Haddock.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.